Oreo

I recently got hired as a sales associate at The North Face. It was a long and thorough process to get hired, but it was expected due to the brand's reputation. On literally my first shift, my very first day, I was greeted by an interesting character named Orion. I thought he was a very uptight person at first because as he was teaching me how to work the cash register he kept saying, "You're doing a great job, I don't care what anyone says about you". In my head I thought "what were they saying about me, who can possibly say anything about me it is literally my first shift". So I was immediately traumatized right from the gate. How was I already screwing up? Anyways, as he was ringing people up at the register he was executing great customer service so I was quite intimidated by him, thinking he was some sort of experienced professional. Fast forward to 7 pm (when the mall closed) and I, along with Orion, had to "recover" the store (which is when we just make the clothes look presentable for the next day). "What the hell are you doing Trevor!", Orion screamed at one point in time. I looked over in complete fear and literally dropped the jacket in my hand. Then to my surprise I heard the most high-pitched, girly and childlike laugh exit this man's mouth. It was at that moment I knew he was just messing with me the entire time. Immediately all my previous judgments of him disappeared, and I found myself talking back as well. So for literally 2 hours Orion and I were just screwing around and screaming banter back and forth to each other. The things I said were along the lines of, "Bro shut the frik up, you can't even walk properly". and he kept calling me a child and that he would put me through the wall. I responded with, "That sucks for the wall, cause you know a wall can't stop your boy". 

Back to the point, my initial impression/judgements of Orion caused me to overthink and get in my own head. My judgements generated false inner fear, and led me to get really nervous on my first day. Resulting in me messing up a little bit, or just not acting like myself.However, in my head I thought I was doing way worse than I actually was. I think the main aspect of my personality that got revealed, or further showed itself, from this day is that I have a tendency to overthink situations, which generally leads to my nerves acting up.   

The next day I found out that Orion was actually my manager and not just another sales associate, and he could've fired me if he wanted to. I probably should not have kept calling him "Oreo".  


enjoy this vid of navneet abusing his prodige. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Xyb2Msb2w&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=TrevorNguyen
 

Comments

Post a Comment